Headquarters of Guards Corps building was built after the General Staff was constructed, the concept of the building was to make it fit in the design of the Palace square, with its marvelous baroque and eclectic style.
An architect Brullov won the design competition, where many famous architects were competing, one of them was Carl Rossi, an Italian architect, who made many historic buildings in Saint-Petersburg and who is widely known in our city. The building took 6 years between 1837 and 1843. The building blended well with the architecture of the square and finished the circle of the square. The front of the building on the Winter palace is decorated with 12 columns.