In 1801, on a site overlooking the Italian street and Griboyedov promenade the architect L. Ruska started the construction of a three-story building which later became known as the Jesuit house.
The facades have retained their original appearance to the present day. The front of the building is decorated with ten Ionic colonnade columns uniting the two upper floors. The center of the other facade features a six-columned portico. This separation of the central parts of the portico or colonnade is characteristic of Russian classicism of the late XVIII - early XIX century.
In 1815, after the prohibition of the Jesuit Order, the building has been turned over to the Military Orphanage. In later years, it became a residential building.