The pride and glory of Kazan Square is the majestic Cathedral of Kazan. This cathedral is held dear not only by believers but to all the Russian people because here lies the hero of the War of 1812, the great Russian commander Mikhail Kutuzov. The cathedral also stores banners of Napoleon's defeated army, but the history of Kazan Square begins long before the construction of the cathedral.
By the end of 18th century, the church was dilapidating, and the construction of a nearby larger cathedral was decided upon. The young but talented Russian architect Andrei Voronikhin undertook the project. Construction was carried out from 1801 to 1811, and even by 1811 it was not furnished. The cathedral has become a testimony to the triumph of Russian arms and trophies: in 1812 trophies from the war were delivered there, including French flags and the military personnel baton of Napoleonic Marshal Davout. In 1813, Field Marshal Kutuzov was buried there. In 1837, monuments to generals Mikhail Kutuzov and Barclay de Tolly were built in front of the cathedral.
In 1935, the fountain from Pulkovo Heights was transferred to Kazan Square. Today, people gather in the summertime around its cool and refreshing water. When sitting on the lawn in front of the fountain, be sure to pay attention to the latticework surrounding the western facade of the cathedral and the home of the Society House for the sea, river, land and fire insurance "Wave", where writer Fyodor Dostoevsky lived in 1846.