The first cast iron bridge on the site was designed and built in 1808-1813 to a design by William Heste. The bridge was rebuilt in 1953 by architect V.V. Blazhevich. The original cast iron structure of the bridge was replaced by the welded steel arches but most of the decorations are left intact.
One of the four surviving colour-coded bridges crossing the Moika River, the Red Bridge carries Gorokhovaya Ulitsa, and has superb views onto the Admiralty and the Alexander Gardens. The first wooden drawbridge was laid at this site in 1717. The bridge's current aspect dates back 1814, when an arched cast-iron bridge was completed. The cast-iron arch was replaced with a steel copy in 1953-54 and, at the same time, four small obelisks topped with small bronze spheres were added to the bridge's granite piers.